Elementary School Counselor; Grades K-5 @ Tuscarora School District
Elementary School Counselor; Grades K-5
Tuscarora School District in Franklin County, PA, is a mid-sized, rural, public school district of 2258 students and approximately 260 employees, is seeking an Elementary School Counselor.
Reports to: Elementary Principal & Superintendent
- Integrate counseling activities (classroom lessons) into academic curriculum to enhance life skills.
- Counsel students individually and in groups implementing a broad range of counseling interventions (K-8) from using play as a counseling modality to cognitive strategies for decision making with older students.
- Respond to and define crisis situations and serve as liaison between school and community resources.
- Consult and communicate with staff, families and the community on issues concerning student needs.
- Assist in the process of career awareness, planning and decision-making as developmentally appropriate to meet student needs.
- Maintain, secure and disseminate student records in accordance with district, state and federal policy and regulations.
- Promote a positive climate within the school and community.
- Participate on teams such as Instructional Support Team (IST), Student Assistance Program (SAP), multi-disciplinary teams to determine students’ eligibility for special education services, grade- level team meetings, School-wide Effective Behavior Support (SWEBS), interdisciplinary and special education.
- Consult with special education staff with regard to student needs and placement.
- Coordinate placement activities for students as they transition between grades/levels and or are identified for specialized programs.
- Provide consulting services to the emotional support and regular education teachers/staff regarding strategies to address the needs of emotional students.
- Maintain appropriate documentation regarding all individual and collateral contacts for all students serviced.
- Facilitates state, local and district level assessments including PSSA and other achievement tests.
- Provide a monthly summary of counseling related activities:
- group lessons (classroom)
- small group counseling sessions
- parent contacts
- consultation with teachers
- IST participation
- MDT/IEP participation
- assessment (Otis Lennon/PSSA)
- Observations (Saudargas)
- Provide orientation activities for students and families at entry and transition points (Back to School, new student orientation) including information on post-secondary opportunities.
- Assist in the registering of students who are new to the district and facilitate scheduling/placement.
- Interpret standardized and local assessment instruments as needed.
- Provide resources to staff and families on issues pertaining to the development of children and other issues within the counselor’s area of expertise.
- Complete classroom observations of students in regard to time on task and other behavior related issues.
- Implement and assume such other duties consistent with the school counseling role as may be assigned by administration.
- Pursue a personal program of professional development.
- Participate on district planning and development committees such as strategic planning, curriculum development, and/or program evaluation.
- Advocate for increased awareness among regular education staff regarding the impact of mental health and emotional issues upon a student’s academic and social functioning.
- Conduct home visits as needed to establish and maintain a rapport with the student’s family to increase the opportunities for the student’s success.
Qualifications: Master’s degree in School Counselor or related field. Valid Pennsylvania certification in Elementary Counselor. Proficient knowledge of different counseling models and practices. Exceptional school guidance skills for various classroom settings.
Certification Requirement: Valid Pennsylvania School Counselor
All applicants: Must complete the on-line application to be considered for this position, which is located under the Employment section of the Tuscarora School District’s website at