Special Education Teacher - Learning Support @ Tuscarora School District
Special Education Teacher - Learning Support (Certification in Math also needed. If no Math certification, an Emergency Permit will be required.)
Tuscarora School District in Franklin County, PA, is a mid-sized, rural, public school district of 2258 students and approximately 260 employees, is seeking a Secondary Special Education Teacher with a Math Certificate.
Reports to: Principal
Overview: To maximize the learning experience of students with special needs, in academics, interpersonal skills and activities of daily living by implementing district approved curriculum; documenting teaching and student progress/activities, outcomes; addressing students' specific needs; providing a safe and optimal learning environment.
· Conducts assessments, testing and diagnostic examinations of students for the purpose of identifying learning issues, and recommending courses of action or corrective procedures to overcome issues and maximize learning.
· Participates in PPT's and assists in developing Individual Educational Plans ("IEP") for students.
· Assists students and teaching staff in implementing students' IEP's and behavior management plans.
· Coordinates with outside agencies, organizations and institutions, including state and federal authorities as needed.
· Coordinates with administrators and other teaching staff members to ascertain individual student's abilities and needs, including students with special needs, and to familiarize stakeholders with social work services.
· Serves as ready resource to students and parents to provide counseling that will lead each student to increased personal growth, self-understanding, and behavioral management; serves as liaison between home and school.
· Continues to acquire professional knowledge and learn of current developments in the educational field by attending seminars, workshops or professional meetings, or by conducting research, and by maintaining professional relationships with members of institutions of higher learning and the business community.
· Organizes and maintains a system for accurate and complete record-keeping and providing student information to prospective colleges and employers, as required by district procedures and applicable laws.
· Encourages parental involvement in students' education and ensures effective communication with students and parents.
· Assists in the orientation of new teachers, and provides in-service training in guidance.
· Selects and requisitions appropriate books, aids and other supplies and equipment and maintains inventory records.
Skills, Knowledge, Abilities
· Knowledge of Special Education principles, theories, testing, methods, etc. as well as proven methods of maximizing the educational experience of students with special needs.
· Knowledge of differentiated instruction based upon student learning styles.
· Knowledge of data information systems, data analysis and the formulation of action plans.
· Knowledge of applicable federal and state laws regarding education and students.
· Ability to use computer network system and software applications as needed.
· Ability to organize and coordinate work.
· Ability to communicate effectively with students and parents.
· Ability to engage in self-evaluation with regard to performance and professional growth.
· Ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with others contacted in the course of work.
Qualifications: Bachelor’s Degree and/or Master’s degree in Special Education or related field. Math certification and/or experience preferred. If certification is from a different state, PA certification must be obtained within a determined time frame. Successful prior special education teaching experience working with students with behavior difficulties. Strong classroom management skills and the ability to build relationships with students.
Valid Pennsylvania certification in Special Education PK – 12. Valid Pennsylvania certification in Mathematics 7 – 12, if no Mathematics certification an Emergency Permit will be required.
All applicants: Must complete the on-line application to be considered for this position, which is located under the Employment section of the Tuscarora School District’s website at https://www.tsdrockets.org/SpecialEducationTeacher/Math.